Our religious leaders have certainly established the fact that education is a solid building block for a stable and successful future in a child’s life; they have gone as far as building Universities to physically state their point.
We applaud the congregation of these churches who offered their tithes, donations and weekly offering to see this vision come to light; in turn expecting that their widows might pay off when their children can acquire a decent education through these schools. Not an unreasonable assumption I must add.
On the bright side, these universities have long been completed unlike most projects in Nigeria, the downside is you need to have bagged some cash to afford sending one child let alone two to the now termed ‘Nigerian Elite Universities‘. Here are a list of these universities and an approximate fee that you need to pay to attend.
1. BOWEN University owned and operated by a Baptist Convention, charges ₦650,000 as tuition fees per session.
2. COVENANT University established by Bishop Oyedepo of Winners Chapel ₦640,000 as tuition fees per session.
3. BENSON IDAHOSA University charges ₦500,000 as tuition fees per session.
4. BABCOCK University established by The Seventh Day Adventist, charges ₦450,000 as tuition fees per session.
5. REDEEMERS University owned by The Redeemed Christian Church of God , charges ₦450,000 as tuition fees per session.
6. AJAYI CROWTHER University established by The Supra diocesan board of the church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), charges ₦350,000per session.
7. MADONNA University a Catholic University charges ₦350,000 as tuition fees per session.
All of these universities were built from tithes and offerings of the people who now cannot afford to send their children there to study. Where has the moral of the church gone?
These schools were all built by the efforts of their congregations who kept sowing seeds; special offering seeds, first fruit seed, redemption seed, thanksgiving seed, harvest seed, tithes, pastor’s birthday seed, church building seed, evangelism seed, father’s day seed, mother’s day seed, children’s day seed, pastor’s cake seed, olive oil seed, insecticide seed, indomie seed, ground nut seed, miscellaneous seed, etc seed. These schools are now elite schools, only for the children of the rich. The gainers then use the proceeds to buy private planes and jets to fly up high in luxury while their members sleep hungry and next Sunday, they will read and preach Malachi 3:6-12. EYES ARE CRYING O…!!
This article was written by Uche Nwadike.