The Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola signed the new Lagos Traffic Bill into law yesterday August 2nd, 2012. This means that defaulter can spend up to 3 years in prison as punishment for one way driving or for not wearing a helmet on a motor bike. Below are the traffic penalties for defaulters:
1.Riding a motor-cycle against traffic : 1st time offender – N20,000.00 subsequent offender N30,000.00 .
2. Smoking while driving – N20,000.00 fine
3. Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout – N20,000.00 fine
4. Disobeying traffic control – N20,000.00
5. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger – N20, 000: 00 or 3yrs imprisonment
6. Driving without valid driver’s license – Vehicle to be impounded.
7. Driving with fake number plate – N20,000.00 and 6 month imprisonment or both.