We announced via our Facebook page that we will be publishing a series of Recipes by Alice Okundaye. Here’s the first… Cola Wings. Enjoy!!!
I first came across this recipe on Masterchef Australia, one of the judges Matt Preston who is actually a food critic and not a chef had a masterclass for quick uncomplicated meals, and it was a joy to behold. It was fun seeing that he actually cooked and some of the recipes caught my eye.
This one most especially, my problem with his version though was that he called for a lot of coke and a lot of sugar so most people complained about the wings turning out extra sweet and still very runny instead of sticky and then he asked for the wings to be in oven for 3 to 3.5 hours, 3.5 HOURS!!!!, you see why i have an issue with this.
Anyways I decided to make my version of this, I took his concept of using coke and then modified it to work for me. Here is what i came up with.
- 2 cups of Coca cola
- 1 tbsp of palm/brown sugar, i used palm
- 4 tbsp of honey
- 3 cloves of garlic grated
- 2 tbsp of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of dried rosemary
- 1 medium brown onion, grated
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- Juice from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375degF
- Mix all the ingredients together in a baking dish, i used a Pyrex square dish.
- Put it in the oven for 90minutes, make sure to bring it out halfway and turn each wing piece.