Lagos, Nigeria; July 4, 2013: The Chief Executive Officer of Etisalat Nigeria, Mr. Steven Evans, confirmed yesterday that it had fully complied with the NCC deadline of disconnecting all unregistered SIM cards by midnight on the 30th June 2013.
Commenting Evans said “We made strenuous efforts to reach all remaining subscribers who had not registered or with whom there was a problem in terms of the registration information recorded”. “this included multiple phone calls and text messages” He said that in any process there could of course be mistakes and if any subscribers had been disconnected incorrectly they should go to an Etisalat Experience Centre to re register and reconnect to the Etisalat network.
Highlighting the significance of this important exercise in the telecommunications industry, Evans further explained that SIM Registration helps service network operators know their customers better as well as help curb negative incidents such as loss of phone through theft, nuisance/hate text messages, fraud, threats amongst other incidents.
According to Evans, “We commend the NCC for taking this decision two years ago and also for their decision to grant operators an extra two months to persuade customers to register and to reconcile and eliminate any problems with the data collected from customers at registration.” “I don’t think the NCC could have done any more than they have to eliminate the impact on genuine customers”
Said Evans, “As a company that strives to deliver the best customer experience through quality of services, innovation and operational excellence, Etisalat has worked closely with the NCC to ensure that the customer is always put first whether it is in the case of SIM card registration, offering a high quality of service or in Mobile Number Portability. The customer is at the heart of everything Etisalat does.”