The South African President has issued a statement reassuring the public that former leader Nelson Mandela is not in any danger and he is in a “satisfactory condition” in hospital. The 93-year-old former leader was admitted to hospital on Saturday morning after suffering abdominal pains, but the government said it was a long-standing health issue and not an emergency.
Referring to his clan name, the office of current President Jacob Zuma said in a statement: “Madiba is fine and fully conscious and the doctors are satisfied with his condition, which they say is consistent with his age. He was in good health before admission in hospital but doctors felt the complaint needed a thorough investigation. He underwent a diagnostic procedure as part of his ongoing medical management. We are happy that he is not in any danger and thank the doctors for their hard work and professionalism.” The statement added Mr Mandela would be discharged either on Sunday or Monday. Mr Mandela’s granddaughter Ndileka also said she was not worried about her elderly grandfather stating “He is fine. He is doing well.”
The ex-president had been suffering pain from a hernia. Hernias can only be permanently fixed with surgical intervention, however if surgery is considered too risky or inadvisable, then they can be treated by manipulating or binding them. Mr Zuma’s office appealed for people not to panic and assured the public there would be regular updates about the former leader’s condition.