The first edition of the Caribbean African American Nations (CAAN) Music Awards 2013 took place at the Cultural Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa last weekend. The event was anchored by IK Oskioduwa and supported by beautiful Toccara Jones (America ‘s Next Top Model) and Claudia Jordan (Celebrity Apprentice).
The star studded event opened with a beautiful rendition of the national anthem by Bayelsa State-born singer, Timi Dakolo followed by a well choreographed dance performance by the state’s Council for Arts and Culture. While welcoming guests to the state, the excited governor,Henry Seriake Dickson reiterated his administration’s commitment towards uniting the world through the arts by using the platform of the state’s potentials. He said;
There is no doubt that Bayelsa State has become the entertainment headquarters of the continent. By next year, we will release our tourism and entertainment calendar of the year. Every month, we will be hosting an international event.”
Also, speaking at the occasion, the Chairman, Silverbird Group, Ben Bruce said, the CAAN music awards would serve as an icon of the music industry on the continent.
Indeed, it was not a night for long speeches as well as undiluted performances. The guests were thrilled with electrifying performances by a long list of Nigerian and foreign artistes such as General Pype, TJ Wonder, Chuddy K, Bba Dee, Daddy Showkey, Sheyi Shay, KCEE, Timaya, Tuface, Waxcomzy, Mafikizulu, Sean Kingston, among others.
The highlight of the occasion was the presentation of awards to deserving artistes. See the list below;
- Dance Hall Reggae Album of the Year – Baba Dee
- Dance Song of the Year – P Square (Alingo)
- Best Act South Africa – Mafikizulu (Kona)
- Song of the decade – Tuface’s African Queen
- Producer of the Year – D’Tunes
- Best Act West Africa – Sarkodie
- Song of the year – by Kcee
- Album of the year – Flavour
- Caribbean Award – Sean Kingston
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Daddy Showkey
- Dancehall Raggae Album – General Pype
- Best New Artiste – Sean Tizzle