Ebola: Rivers State Government Explains How The Disease Came To Port-Harcourt

Mr Olu-Ibukun Koye , is the Nigerian diplomat working for ECOWAS, who escaped from the Ebola quarantine centre in Lagos and left for Port Harcourt to be secretly treated by the Late Dr Enemuo. Mr Olu-Ibukun Koye was one of those who had contact with Patrick Sawyer, the Late Liberian man who brought Ebola to Nigeria. When Mr Sawyer died of Ebola, the Nigerian government made efforts to trace those who had any physical contact with him. Mr Koye alongside others were quarantined in Lagos. Along the line, Mr Koye suddenly escaped from the quarantine centre when he discovered that he had developed symptoms of Ebola and flew to Port-Harcourt. Mr Koye’s coming to Port-Harcourt has caused a lot of controversy, as the doctor who treated him has died as a result of the disease. The hotel and hospital in which he was treated has been shut down. The late doctor’s wife has also tested positive to Ebola. About 200 people have now been quarantined in Port-Harcourt.


The Rivers State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Samson Parker, said at a press conference that late Dr. Iyke Enemou, who treated ECOWAS diplomat Olu Koye  was aware that Mr Koye had the Ebola Virus Disease. Hear him:

“He had received the late Dr. Patrick Sawyer in Lagos. Upon developing the symptom, confided in a female colleague, called Lilian, who contacted the late Enemuo. It was after contact was established with Dr. Enemuo that Olu Koye flew to Port Harcourt to see him. To conceal his movement, Koye, who had been quarantined among other people for having primary contact with the late Dr. Sawyer, the Liberian-American who transmuted the Ebola virus into Nigeria, sneaked out of the isolation unit where he was being observed and took a flight to Port Harcourt and switched off his phone so that he could not be reached or traced should he answer a call.”

When he got to Port Harcourt, he checked into Mandate Gardens Hotel in the Rumunokoro area in Obio/Akpor LGA which is close to Sam Steel Clinic where Dr. Enemuo worked.

“From what we have gathered so far, Dr. Enemuo, knowing that Koye was positive of the Ebola virus took some measures of precaution to protect himself while treating Koye.

“Knowing the enormity of what he was doing, Enemuo upon Koye’s departure for Lagos, poured bleach all over the room that Koye slept in order to sanitise the place.”

The commissioner revealed that Dr Enemuo, after falling ill, asked another doctor at Good Heart Hospital along Evo Road in G.R.A. to treat him, but at no point did Dr Enemuo tell his colleague that he may have contracted the Ebola virus, instead he lied that he had fever.

“He lied. He did not tell the doctor that was treating him his full story. But the doctor, a nice and conscientious professional, suspected that Enemuo was either hiding something or was suffering from a strange ailment because he proved negative to malaria, fever and typhoid fever.

“To be sure of what he was doing, he spoke to other very experienced doctors about the strange case he was handling in his hospital.”

Dr. Enemuo’s health deteriorated until he died on August 22nd after which his body was taken to the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital.



To receive updates enter your email
- OR -

Tags: , , , , ,

written by

Nchee is an author on Gist Us.
Related Posts

One Response to "Ebola: Rivers State Government Explains How The Disease Came To Port-Harcourt"

  1. Unimke says:

    Where is this Mr Koye now?


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>